Inspired Ideas to Personalize a Funeral ServiceJune 11, 2015
Funeral services give us the opportunity to celebrate the uniqueness of each individual and honor the character and values of the deceased’s family through thoughtful and personalized touches. The more personal the funeral service, the more meaningful to friends and family who want to know that the life their loved one lived has truly been commemorated.
There are many ways to personalized funeral and memorial services, and Keohane takes pride in helping our families incorporate personal touches. When planning the funeral service, it can be helpful to make a list of the hobbies, places of interest and achievements of the loved one. Write down special memories you have of your loved one and include the qualities and personality traits that are most significant to you.
Ways to Personalize a Funeral Service
Try some of these innovative ideas to honor your loved one’s unique qualities, traits and interests and make the funeral service as personal and unique as the deceased:
- Display Photographs: Display framed pictures at the visitation and/or service; make a memory board using a collage of photographs; create photo keepsakes such as personalized funeral programs; bookmarks; and prayer cards. Try these free MSWord templates to create printable memorial mementos.
- Poems and Memorial Verses: Poetry and special verses are a moving way to pay tribute to a loved one. To help you find the right words, take a look at this list of free funeral poems/verses. If you can’t find the perfect poem, have a custom funeral poem written about your loved one for the funeral service.
- Create a Memory Table: Display arts, crafts, medals, diplomas, awards, clothing or other personal artifacts that belonged to the deceased during the wake or service.
- Ask Others to Participate: Friends and family members can participate in the service by reading a favorite passage, a quote, or a poem. They can also share special memories of the loved one. Or ask them to write letters to the loved one which are then placed in the casket or cremated with the deceased.
- Music: Arrange for special musicians to play at the service such as a bagpipe player, harpist, pianist, violinist, organist, or vocalist. To help you choose the right music, here is a list of the most popular funeral songs.
- Military Honors: If your loved one served in the armed forces, we can help you arrange for military honors.
- Unique Processional: Plan a special route to the cemetery to drive by places that were special to your loved one; have the funeral procession led by a special vehicle, such as a firetruck for a deceased firefighter; or let a loved one drive the hearse.
- Encourage Others to Share Memories: Provide note cards at the visitation and/or service for people to write comments or share stories with your family.
- Mementoes: Provide parting gifts to those who come to the service to honor and remember your loved one, such as personalized plantable seed cards; seed packets of forget-me-nots; or your loved one’s favorite recipe.
- Symbolic Ceremony: Release balloons, doves or butterflies at the cemetery as a celebration of your loved one’s life and a symbol of the deceased’s spirit.
- Reception: After the funeral services, invite friends and family to a reception to share stories and special memories of your loved one. This could take place at the church, someone’s home, at a hotel, restaurant, or country club.
Modern technology offers many significant and creative ways to incorporate personalized tributes into today’s funeral services:
- Video Tribute: Create a DVD of photos and videos to play at the visitation and/or service. Use favorite musical medleys or traditional hymns significant to the deceased.
- Virtual Attendance: For family and friends who may not be able to attend the funeral, some funeral homes offer web casting in which the funeral service is broadcast over a closed link or website. If web casting is not available, technology such as Skype or FaceTime can be used on personal devices to include those who are far away or unable to attend.
We are happy to assist you in creating a personalized tribute of your loved one that brings closure and meaning to friends and family. Our staff will help you plan a personal and significant memorial that celebrates your loved one’s life and honors the values of the family left behind.
Call us at 1-800-Keohane (800-536-4263) to discuss planning a personalized funeral service.
Photo credit: © Satori /123RF.COM